From:
Sharyn Horowitz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Apr 1998 08:47:43 +0100
And whose responsibility is it to facilitate communication? The architect,
who knows what information is needed when, who knows the potential pitfalls
and who is the one who will be blamed if the building doesn't work! I've
worked for institutions and a consulting design firm, and I've seen the
lack of communication. It's the architect's job to resolve it, not whine
about it.

>        Why must most people contributing to the thread concerning museum
>architecture make it sound like architects intentionally slight those who
>work alot "behind the scenes," or that architects are clueless of the needs
>of 'end-users' of spaces?  I was a full-time architecture student for 3
>years and worked for a prominent firm (which did museums, amongst other
>things).  I have also worked in a museum for 5+ years and have contacts in
>many others.  It is my opinion that the short-comings of most museum
>architecture are due to a lack of communication between (usually) very
>capable parties.  Architects are rigorously trained and licensed
>professionals who specialize in arranging spaces to meet the needs of the
>clients -- based largely on how the client defines them.  A 'poor' result,
>therefore, is the result of poor communication.  Imagine if there was zero
>interaction!
>        Cheers to museum professionals and architects alike,
>        Timothy Kane

Sharyn Horowitz, The Health Museum of Cleveland
8911 Euclid Avenue * Cleveland, OH 44106 * (216) 231-5010 * fax 231-5129
http://www.healthmuseum.org