From:
Bob Oldham <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Mar 1998 08:56:06 -0500
I forgot an excellent example of a computer in an exhibit here at the
Science Museum of Virginia. We have in our Matter and Molecules
(chemistry) area a Chemical Reactions computer which runs a multimedia
program using laserdisc and a touch screen (actually it's an IBM
Infowindows system). It allows visitors to choose experiments which are
played in motion video, followed by discussion of the reaction, or a
quiz about the different aspects of basic chemistry (balancing reaction
equations, etc.) It's been pretty reliable and I believe very
informative, and it absorbs peoples' interest when they choose it (not
everyone does!). This to me is an excellent application of computer
technology to exhibits. I guess the key is getting a well-debugged
system to start with.

Bob Oldham