From:
Eric Siegel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 15 Mar 1998 07:54:30 -0500
There are two recent articles about "behind the scenes" at Disney.  One in
this months ID by John Hockenberry, and the other in last months WIRED.
They are both illuminating.  Disney's got the bread, they got the
excitement about toys and technology.  But nothing in either of the
articles suggested that they were out to *educate*  visitors about history,
art, science, etc (at least at their theme parks.)

Their new Animal Kingdom, from what I've read and heard, blurs the lines
even more.  If I am not mistaken, the zoo folks are watching a scary
incursion of disney into their turf.  Disney even use the newest zoo
rationale, as expressed by  Dr. Conway, the Director of the Bronx Zoo: Zoos
are conservation efforts because they educate visitors about the importance
of animal diversity.  Dr. Conway is on Disney's advisory board about Animal
Kingdom, and that rationale is central to Animal Kingdom's rap.

I would not be at all surprised to see an interactive science experience on
their slate as well.  We've met with them to discuss a collaboration, but
haven't really moved it along for all kinds of reasons.  The Imagineers are
as busy as they want to be.

Eric Siegel