From:
Daniel Deyell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Jun 1998 08:52:04 -0600
When the Glenbow Museum, Calgary, moved into its new facility in the mid
seventies, we used a lot of plexiglass and glass panels, particularly for
the third floor displays of early Western Canadian history. I think Lorne
Render (who is now somewhere in western Montana(?)) was heading the
project.

After we learned how to modify designers' drawings to ensure the heavier
sheets stayed on the walls and how to tighten corner brackets enough to
keep sheets of glass together but not so tight that the glass cracked
under the tension of the screws, putting up exhibits became a fairly
simple process. The sheets could have been used to apply lettering, but as
I remember we screened "labels" directly onto the opaque surfaces of the
resulting "display cases."

The completed project looked clean but it also shimmered with its own
presence and viewers sometimes had to move their heads and bodies around
to see the artifacts behind the glass.

Daniel Deyell
Saskatoon, SK