From:
Len Hambleton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Jun 1998 16:44:15 -0400
Dear Listmembers,
This reply is to the list to answer the Connecticut Historical Society's
,exhibit staff questions about what works and doesn't on Recent
Acquisition cases.

Our case is 10'x10'x10". Above case there are spotlights with UV
filtration provision as well as UV film placed on the glass ceiling to
admit the light source.
In answer to the Connecticut Historical Society's questions:
1.The best place or position is where the visitor will be drawn to it
yet out of harms way . If it is free standing it may be jostled . If
elbow height ,leaned on regardless of signage begging for visitor
co-operation.
If you have skylights , note where the sun doesn't focus a harmful
"hotspot" in your proposed location .
If you have determined the case's location or someone has for you,you
may have to live with the location and take precautions with UV films
placed on top of the case like our installation to prevent damage from
refraction pf "shafts" of sunlight at different times during the year.
2. Ours is 10'x10'x10" .Decide what the largest item you would consider
placing in a case. We are able to create backdrops such as a Victorian
parlor scene with full sized mannequins.
3" Flexibility tricks" ours has a hardwood floor for appearance.
Ventilation holes were cored through the cement floor some 3" dia. at
the back of the case. We use plinths of varying sizes which permit
viweing from all three sides as our case is under a spiral staircase. It
is up to designers and curators to orchestrate this solution for each
individual exhibit. We did create an eggcrate ceiling inside to suspend
text blocks or props as neede, much as in store windo display. Also we
attached a similar eggcrate frame on the vertical and at the back of the
case to support different shelving arrangements. The arrangements are
endless.
4. For making it interesting look at large store windows and books on
window dressing designs, think in terms of combining a theme for the
season to cmpliment the artifacts and the storey your exhibit conveys.
5. If there is no resident conservator by all means design the case to
maintain 45-55% RH and 65-68 degrees this is a preferred target. Install
a hygrothermograph in the proposed location in advance of building for
some perameters. A glass box has it's own ambient environment. Sometimes
in the best planned cases the provision for adding and extracting
humidity has been overlooked. Retrofitting can be expensive.Provide for
dust free ventilation with muffin fans/hepa filters- top and bottom,air
in ,air out respectively to eliminate dust and time in cleaning objects.

Install a hygrothermograph probe in the case and the unit outside so you
can change your charts without having to open the case each time.
6. Objects should be rotated (replaced by similar or alternative
representations) every 6 months is our rule and more frequesntly for
light sensitive materials such as ivory, paper,silk. This is where you
really need the conservator or contract one to review your prospective
exhibit plans.

Len Hambleton - Chief Conservator
North Carolina Museum of History
5 East Edenton Street
Raleigh NC. 27601-1011
919-715-0200 x244
"Information in the spirit of sharing,catch the wave!"

Opinions expressed in this message may not represent the policy of my
agency