From:
Andy Finch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Jun 1998 16:29:06 -0400
This is not an official communication.

AAM staff will do what the institutional and individual members, who pay
our salaries, and the Board, which sets our policies, want us to do.  If
you want us to do something, i.e., start some kind of certification
program, then organize yourselves and figure out how to affect policy.
Make a case that not only addresses your own concerns but also the needs
of the field as a whole (institutions of every kind and type, and
professionals, and non-professionals).  Investigate whether the issue
has been considered in the past, and try to ascertain the objections to
such a policy.

With respect to service to members, my own department instituted the
Museum Advocacy Team in part because we felt that it was in the interest
of individual members.  We thought that every museum worker ought to
have a better sense of how government policy affects his or her job, for
many reasons, the most obvious being that some of them, one day, will be
directors, and advocacy/policy, especially on local issues, will be an
important part of their jobs.  Thus, we saw MAT as an instrument of
professional development, and we realized that we could both lobby for
the field and serve individuals at the same time.

I'm not a spokesperson for the AAM staff; nevertheless, I would say on
their behalf that they work hard, and that if they were in it for the
dollars, they'd be in the wrong place.  The field's needs are paramount.
Unfortunately, those needs are also vast, and we're never going to be
able to do everything for everybody.  But it's not for lack of trying.

Andy Finch
AAM Government Affairs