From:
Andy Finch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Jun 1998 12:07:20 -0400
AAM has heard from several museums that have received letters asking
them for detailed information on all abandoned property and claiming
that such requests are sanctioned by the Freedom of Information Act
(FOIA) and state laws.

To the best of our knowledge, FOIA does not cover non-Federal museums,
nor are we aware of state laws that would require blanket disclosure of
collections information to anybody who asks (although I'd be glad to
hear if anybody knows otherwise).

Andy Finch
AAM Government Affairs