From:
Melanie Solomon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 May 1998 06:05:02 PDT
I think Janice summed it up nicely...

It all began when I wrote a soap opera episode as a one-time-only satire
of the discussion threads on Museum-L, and received a lot of e-mail
asking for more.  The rest, as they say, is history.

The TRULY perverse part, to me, is that people all over the world seem
to work in the same museum environment!

Melanie Solomon

(a.k.a. [log in to unmask])

>Date:         Wed, 6 May 1998 08:49:12 -0500
>From:         Janice Klein <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject:      Beyond the Velvet Ropes
>To:           [log in to unmask]

the
>Velvet Ropes...
>
>I can only tell you my understanding of the now 8-part soap opera of
museum
>life (perhaps Melanie will give us an artists' statement):
>
>Essentially it is an on-going series of playlets that describe museum
life
>in an eerily (and sometimes depressingly) accurate, but humorous way.
Okay,
>maybe more of a perverse way.  Among its antecedents are Douglas Adam's
>Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy (a trilogy in four volumes), the Wizard
of
>Oz and Monty Python.  Or not.
>
>Melanie has just posted Episode 8; the rest can be found in the
museum-l
>archives (or at 10 p.m. on Tuesday May 12 at the Westin Bonaventure
Hotel in