From:
Anne Lane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Apr 1998 13:01:54 -0400
I told Francesca I'd forward her request to you folks, as you have been ever
helpful in cases of this sort.  Please reply directly to her at the address
below.  Thanks - Anne

>>>Date: Mon, 06 Apr 1998 16:51:15 -0700
>>>From: Francesca Shultz <[log in to unmask]>
>>>Subject: preservation question
>>>To: [log in to unmask]
>>> [log in to unmask] using -f
>>>
>>>Dear Callisters:
>>>
>>>A friend has asked for help with preserving an old sign-painted window
>>>from a soon-to-be-demolished building.  Most of the gold lettering is in
>>>reasonably good shape and adhering to the glass, but the black
>>>background paint, which appears to have been painted on after the
>>>lettering, is peeling away in great chunks.  Wisely, she does not want
>>>to attempt to restore the piece.  She would be delighted with any
>>>suggestions about methods of framing (perhaps a glass sandwich, properly
>>>spaced); preventing additional peeling; and perhaps reattaching some of
>>>the larger pieces of black paint, etc.
>>>
>>>I am curious, also, about the types of paint that might have been used
>>>in the early parts of this century for such sign painting.  The gold is
>>>clearly real, as there is no tarnishing even of bits that have been in
>>>the air, and the quality of the paint has held up remarkably well. Any
>>>thoughts or info?  This list is a fantastic resource, and I thank you
>>>all in advance!
>>>
>>>Francesca Shultz
>>>In Mercer Island, where we are in a serious "sunbreak"

Anne T. Lane
Curatorial Assistant
Museum of York County
4621 Mt. Gallant Road
Rock Hill, SC  29732-9905
803-329-2121 ext 104  *  [log in to unmask]