From:
Deb Fuller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Apr 1998 20:07:22 -0500
At 04:04 PM 3/31/98 -0500, you wrote:
>Hi, everyone,
>I need some help finding a vendor.  I'm looking for a plain-woven white
>or off-white cotton cloth tape on which I can write accesions numbers, to
>be stitched to garments and textiles.  (By plain-woven, I mean  "woven with
>the weft threads at 90 degree angles to the warp threads.") The tapes I have
>seen/gotten samples of from  Gaylord, University Products, Talas, and Light
>Impressions are twill woven (and difficult to write legibly upon).  BTW,
we are >using Perma Ink pens - we are experimenting on the (twill) samples
we've gotten >with all pen tip widths.
>Your help will be SINCERELY!!!! appreciated -

No, you don't want twill tape or something that is cut on the bias
(diagonally).  You want something like the stuff we use in the theater for
marking garments and so shoot me I can't think of the name for it.  Try
"laundry tape" or cotton tape and see if that gets you anywhere.  A good
fabric store can probably figure out what you want.  There's also
pre-labled laundry tape that parents use for labeling kid's clothes for
when they go off to camp for the summer.  You could probably get some of
that without anything on it from a fabric store as well.

Or if nothing else, get some cheap muslin that runs for a buck or so a yard
and cut your own tape.  That might even be cheaper in the long run too even
if it is a bit of extra work.

Deb Fuller