From:
Len Hambleton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Mar 1998 07:53:15 -0500
Wear a dust mask,molds can cause respiratory problems.Greenish blue type
is penicillus but white is aspergillus and harmful. Best solution is to
air books in outdoors on a balmy warm day in the shade flipping them
open and leaving them to air. Direct sunlight kills mold but UV rays
damages paper.
Once mold is a dry powder then dust off with a stiff,clean paint
brush(new and reserved for just that purpose) wisking dust to a vacuum
cleaner upholstery brush.Dispose of bag in trash when job completed.
North East Documents Conservation Center in Andover Mass., may be of
further assistance with stubborn problems.May have handout literature to
send you. Tel # 508--470-1010
Good luck
Len Hambleton - Objects Conservator
North Carolina Museum of History
5 East Edenton Street
Raleigh NC. 27601-1011
919-715-0200 x244
"Information in the spirit of sharing,catch the wave!"

Opinions expressed in this message may not represent the policy of my
agency