From:
ALICE TURLEY <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Apr 1998 14:20:17 -0600
Kim Koons recently wrote:

>Since the subject of museum studies
>programs has come up, I wonder if list
>members would be willing to offer opinions
>about what they feel are the
>particular strengths of various programs,
>and/or the qualities which
>distinguish one from another....What are
>your thoughts?

In my opinion, the strength of the program at
the University of Kansas (Master of Historical
Administration and Museum Studies) was the
diversity of coursework. In addition to the 6
core classes in basic museum work (exhibits,
conservation, museum administration, etc.),
graduate students in the history track of the
program were responsible for six history-based
courses. Class choices ranged from
fundamentals of historical research to editing to
presentation of methodology. The internship,
worth six hours of credit and written and oral
exams rounded out the 42 hour program.

Please contact me if you have any additional
questions:-)

Ali
Ali Turley
Assistant Curator/Curator of Education