From:
Wade Lawrence <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Apr 1998 11:20:09 -0500
Mr. Baron's answer seems to be tongue in cheek, but the idea is sound. I
have seen many a media collection (such as photo archives) catalog go down
the wrong road by trying to file the physical artifact by theme or subject
matter. It soon becomes a problem--is this a photograph of an event? a
building? a person? a region? Later, researchers do not know where to find
specific photos because they are physically filed by an arbitrary system.
Number the objects sequentially and let your computer database deal with
keywords, cross-referencing, and categorization. Really, it's that simple.

Wade Lawrence
Asst. Director
Drayton Hall
A Historic Site of the National Trust for Historic Preservation