From:
Boylan P <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Feb 1998 16:42:25 +0000

> Great response!  You've given me a great deal to think about.  How
> indeed, would we re-enact the misery and death inflicted upon slaves in
> this region by typhus, yellow fever, and cholera, all of which were
> rampant in this swamp infested county.  The average life of a slave
> working the Brazoria County sugar plantatations was five years.  I don't
> think we can do a living history presentation of that.
>
> To the drawing boards! (I can't say "back" to the drawing boards because
> we simply at the conceptual stage now.  You certainly have contributed
> greatly to that process.
>
> Thanks
> --
> Bob Handy, Director
> Brazoria County Historical Museum

Bob:

When I was developing the 120 acre Snibston Industrial Museum and
Discovery Park in the centre of England for Leicestershire Counrty
Council in the late 1980s I did receive a take-over bid (literally)
for the site and part development from a commercial company planning a
major new theme park on the proposed theme of "Dangerworld"!  While we
were going through the mind-boggling phase we heard that they couldn't get
insurance so the plan collapsed.  (Even at the very cheap price placed on
kid's lives by the British courts the risk of killing off a few per year
was just too much for the insurers - contrary to public policy or
something similar was the excuse.

Patrick Boylan