From:
Christina Simpson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Feb 1998 23:24:56 GMT
TOPIC: Museum Library & Archives entrance/admission fees

Among the components of the Glenbow Museum in Calgary is the Library
and Archives which are curatorial and research collections for staff
supporting the collections of the Museum.  The Library and Archives
are on one floor and fully open to the public although material has to
be used on the premises.  The Glenbow is neither a fully public  nor a
private institution, receiving government funding, but also raising
funds through grants from individuals, companies, etc.  The Museum
also charges an admission fee but the Library and Archives does not.
On the direction of our administration we are currently exploring the
philosophy and practice of charging admission to the museum floors but
not to the Library and Archives,  and wonder about the situation in
other comparable facilities.

If anyone has any experience, comments or thoughts about the issue of
charging admission fees to a special Library could you please Email
them to me at [log in to unmask]  Thanks for any information provided.

Lindsay Moir
Senior Librarian

NOTE:  Please reply to Lindsay at [log in to unmask], NOT to the sender
of this post.

Thank you.