From:
Janice Klein <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Feb 1998 08:53:55 -0600
A terrific question, since many of the Benin bronzes were looted during the
British Punitive Expedition and (it is my understanding) that the museum in
Benin City has very little (if any) original work.  This of course, brings
us to the larger (probably unsolvable) question, do those who "made" the art
have a  right to have it in their community or does "great art" belong to
the world?

I did once get an interesting answer from Jonathan Buffalo, the Meskwaki
historical preservation coordinator, in regard to the "sharing" of his
tribes' cultural property:  give it all back and we'll lend you some for
exhibit.

Janice Klein
Registrar, The Field Museum