From:
James Mark Manheim <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Jan 1998 22:31:38 GMT
James Martin ([log in to unmask]) wrote:
: Apologies for the cross-postings...and for the incomplete earlier posting
: that some of you may have received. To continue, I am interested in
: learning of songs about visual art and/or artists to possibly perform at an
: upcoming variety show. The style is not so important--rock, blues, or folk
: are all fine (jazz is unfortunately a bit over my current playing
: ability)--but the song(s) should be appropriate for a trio (guitar, bass
: and drums).

: If anyone knows of songs or reference sources that would be appropriate, I
: would appreciate hearing about them, as well as any experiences anyone has
: had with this sort of endeavor.

You must check out, if you haven't already, "Truckload of Art," by Terry
Allen, artist and the most adventurous of the gonzo country singers.  I
believe it's on his "Lubbock (Over Everything)" disc.  The song was
recently covered by the Austin Lounge Lizards on their "Small Minds" disc.
Scattered around Allen's albums are various other songs about art, but
"Truckload of Art" is the best one.

Tex