From:
James Martin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Feb 1998 09:58:55 -0500
Here's a material question for the group.

I've been asked to determine if there is physical or chemical evidence
that a set of wood, stone, and plant and animal fiber objects were at one
time buried in soil.  The complicating factor is the these objects are
utilitarian in nature and would have come into contact with soil in
daily use.

I am trying to establish criteria for determining artifacts of long-term
burial that are separate and apart from artifacts of daily soil contact
through use.

Presently, I'm thinking along the lines of surface alteration, chemical
alteration, mineral deposition, etc.  The materials, again, are wood,
stone, and animal/plant fibers.

Has anyone undertaken a similar study in their institution?  If so, please
contact me.

TIA.

James Martin
Williamstown Art Conservation Center