From:
"Paul R." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Feb 1998 23:11:53 -0500
In article <[log in to unmask]>, "K. Stahr"
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>P.T. Barnum's FeeJee Mermaid would be perfect for both an historical as
>well as current example.  As far as I understand it's still on view in the
>Barnum Museum in CT.
>
>Karen Stahr Kim
>Arts Administration
>Teachers College/Columbia University

Unfortunately...no.  When we redesigned The Barnum Museum in the late '80s,
we would have given plenty for the Fejee Mermaid; but it had been gone for
more than a century.  (However, reports that it is indeed in Bridgeport may
offer some clue as to how fakes, forgeries, and rumors get their "legs.")

-- Paul R.