From:
Ross Weeks <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Feb 1998 17:12:15 -0500
I agree entirely with Herve Gagnon.  While a museum "elite" still exists,
no institution that expects 1) government support 2) corporate support 3)
foundation support 4) accreditation can afford not to be service oriented.

It always concerns me a bit, however, when "marketing" dominates the
direction of the institution, but I am a fuddy-duddy on that.  The
knowledge industry, of which we're a part, needs to hold fast to its
purpose.  Too many colleges, I fear, teach courses simply because they
might be popular, not because they might be worthy.

Having stewardship for collections is the foundation for many museums.
Caring for these objects appropriately is essential.  Making use of their
educational and informative potential is also essential.