From:
Marina de Alarcon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Feb 1998 09:58:26 +0100
>In 1897 and 1898 the ethnographic collections (the "savage curiosities")
>of John CALVERT (1825-1897) were auctioned by Stevens of Covent Garden,
>London. I am researching Mr. Calvert and am *desperate* to find an
>extant copy of any or all of these sales. There were at least three of
>them. His collections were supposed to contain items from Africa,
>AUstralia, New Guinea, New Zealand and elsewhere in the Pacific. Any
>suggestions as to the whereabouts of Calvert's collections, the STevens
>catalogues or any other trace of documentation concerning them
>gratefully received!
>
>thanks
>
>Mick
>
>--
>Michael P. Cooper * Mineralist * [log in to unmask]

Dear Mick,

The Pitt Rivers Museum, Oxford, purchased a very small amount of material
at the Calvert Sale. The accession book information reads as follows:

"SALE AT STEVENS Purch at the the J. Calvert sale, 8.12.97. - 2 large
pieces of iron money (spade-blade shaped), Niam Niam tribe, Central Africa.
17/-"

I am afraid that this is all the Calvert material in the Museum and that we
have no more information or documentation for this material.

Best wishes

Marina de Alarcon

Marina de Alarcon                       Pitt Rivers Museum,
Curatorial Assistant                    University of Oxford,
                                        South Parks Road,
[log in to unmask]           Oxford,
telephone: 01865 270928                 OX1 3PP.
fax: 01865 270943