From:
Die Valkure <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Feb 1998 12:35:32 -0800
List members:

My name is Vanessa Ward, and I am a first year grad student in the Arts and
Administration Masters Program at the University of Oregon.  I recently
posted a survey aimed at compiling policy statements that address the
ethical and economic issues regarding the organization of exhibits
consisting entirely of works from private collections.  There has been
overwhelming interest in my results, but no one seems willing to actually
fill out the survey.  If you could respond (offlist please), I would be
greatly appreciative.  I have attempted to make it very so it should not
take very much time.  As a further incentive, I am sending a summary of my
results only to those people who complete the survey. Thank you for your time.

I have re-posted the survey for your convenience.

1) Does your museum address the issue of the display of works from
privately held collections in its exhibition policy?  If yes, can you
provide me with a copy?

2) If no, is there an unwritten policy?  What is it?

3) If no, why not?

4) When displaying works from private collections, is there a tacit or
written understanding that the work will eventually be a gift to either
your museum or another?

5) Do you, as a museum administrator, think such explicit statements are
necessary?

Once again, thank you for your time.  Your input is greatly appreciated.

Vanessa L. Ward
First Year Graduate
Arts and Administration Program
The University of Oregon