From:
Chris Landry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Dec 1997 11:20:13 PST
Hi --

> Is anyone offering museum theatre programs based upon reminiscences of
older
> adults? Age Exchange Theatre Trust Ltd. in London does this very thing. I
> recently heard about the Trust through an interactive theatre workshop
with
> Lisa Doolittle who is at the University of Lethbridge, Alberta.

About 6-7 years ago, the Masachusetts Foundation for the Humanities
sponsored a project in Heritage State Parks that are located in
(economically Depressed) industrial towns throughout the state.  The
project was called Shifting Gears, and it brought humanities scholars into
these communities to work with residents.  In Holyoke, senior citizens (as
well as younger residents) from the city's several cultural groups (Irish,
French-Canadian, Puerto Rican) worked together to create and perform a play
about Holyoke.  It was a wonderful project featuring some actors in their
80s who had never acted before.  Contact the Mass. Foundation for the
Humanities for more information:  http://www1.shore.net/~mfh/mfhpage.htm.
Their page has phone and e-mail info.

I would be interested in seeing a summary of what you learn.  Good luck.

Chris Landry
Historic Deerfield
Deerfield, MA