From:
Roger Wulff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Jan 1998 12:57:48 -0500
Dear Stephanie and Fellow Museum List Readers:

After I sent my initial reply to this subject, I received my copy of
"Meeting News" of 26 January 1998 in the mail.  I noted an interesting
article concerning Cultural Tourism which might interest a number of
you.

"MIAMI NAMES CULTURE CZAR"

"While most Sunshine State visitors come to catch a tan and have some
fun, the increasing numbers of travelers who want to soak up some
culture has given rise to the institutionalization of what is being
labeled "cultural tourism" in South Florida.

Both Miami and neighboring Fort Lauderdale have appointed cultural
tourism directors in the past 30 days, and Palm Beach County is
considering a similar move.

Merrett Stierheim, CEO of the Greater Miami Convention & Visitors
Bureau, said he appointed Miami art expert George Neary, who is active
in the promotion of Miami Beach's Art Deco district, as the CVB"s first
cultural tourism chief because of an increased demand for
cultural-oriented visitor information.

Neary is a founding member of the South Beach Marketing Council and the
Dade Heritage Trust and was among 75 applicants for the new cultural
post.

CVB spokeswoman Jean Sullivan said arts-oriented tours, ranging from
visiting galleries to guided tours of art deco architecture, are
becoming increasingly popular among incentive groups.

The Fort Lauderdale Convention & Visitors Bureau recently appointed
Michael Kenny, who is president of a West Palm Beach firm called
Cultural Connections, as its first cultural tourism director.

In March, Palm Beach County will consider hiring a cultural tourism
director, and could have one in place before year-end, accoring to an
official of the Palm Beach County Cultural Council.

Tourists who indicate a preference for the arts spend more on the
average trip - $ 615.00 vs. $ 425.00 - According to a recent report from
the Travel Industry Association of America."

Kind Regards

Roger Wulff
Museum Services International