From:
Brenda Weatherston <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Jan 1998 08:00:00 PST
"TOWARD SELF-SUFFICIENCY:  Museum Revenue Development"
February 23 - 28, 1998 with Graeme Page
Cultural Resource Management Program--University of Victoria

An outline summary is now available for this upcoming course. Please
let us know if you wish additional information, or wish to register!

Course Description

An entrepreneurial approach to revenue generation is the key to
greater financial stability for many museums and other cultural
heritage organizations. This intensive course explores changing
funding realities, expectations, and opportunities, and develops your
ability to:

>  balance mandate, mission, and funding
>  identify appropriate revenue sources,  including admission fees,
    gift shops, mail order sales, food services, facility rentals,
    professional and consulting services, and image and product
    licensing
>  project and manage revenue income
>  anticipate management and human resource implications
>  consider ethical and legal issues
>  develop marketing strategies and address public relations
    concerns
This course involves a preparatory assignment.

Instructor: Graeme Page is Associate Director, Communications and
Development for The Banff Centre for Management, and acts as Program
Director for arts management and not-for-profit management programs.
He has also served as a consultant to over one hundred not-for-profit
organizations across Canada since founding his firm, Graeme Page
Associates, in 1983, and has conducted retreats, workshops, and
seminars on the topics of board development, organizational
effectiveness, marketing and fundraising. Mr. Page is a graduate of
the University of Toronto in Commerce and Finance. He is also a
professional musician with extensive performing experience.

Dates: February 23-28, 1998
Please register by: January 26
Fee: $589 (credit or non-credit, Canadian funds)

Travel:  Victoria is easily accessible by air or ferry from both
Vancouver and Seattle Accommodation: Program staff are pleased to
provide you with on-campus and off-campus alternatives

Preliminary Course Outline

Monday, February 23
* Welcome, Introductions,  and overview of the course
* Develop learning objectives for participants
* Description of course content, case studies and assignments
* Trends and challenges for cultural organizations
* Is more money the only answer?
* Looking beyond the symptoms
* Distinguishing between earned and contributed revenue
* Strategies which support marketing and development objectives
* Stakeholders, competitors and strategic allies
* Break-out exercise: identify competitors
* Using competition for mutual advantage

Tuesday , February 24
* Selection of case studies
* Analyzing relationships
* The strategic triangle
* Analyzing non-financial results
* Break-out excerise: developing measures
* Analyzing financial results
* Financial reporting and budgets as management tools
* Presenting a business case for change
* Case studies: Break-out session

Wednesday, February 25
* Case studies / site visits

Thursday, February 26
* De-briefing of site visits
* Entrepreneurial initiatives in museums and galleries (new businesses
and policies which support their success)
* Analyzing the impact of demographic trends, attitudes and
perceptions on marketing and development strategies
* The importance of target marketing
* The resource generation cycle
* Integration of marketing and development
* Leadership, assessment and involvement
* Inventory and benefits
* Identifying an organization's inventory
* What have we got to "sell"? To whom?  Break-out session

Friday, February 27
* Present results: inventory and benefits
* Matching products and services to prospects
* Value and pricing
* Completing the cycle
* Using the resource generation cycle in case studies
* Preparation of case study presentations

Saturday, February 28
* Presentation of case studies
* Special guests: What do donors and sponsors expect?
* Lunch with guests
* Course summary, questions and comments

For more information on this course and others offered in 1998,
please contact:

Joy Davis, Program Director
Cultural Resource Management
Division of Continuing Studies
University of Victoria
PO Box 3030  Victoria, BC V8W 3N6 CANADA
Telephone (250) 721-8462  Fax: (250) 721-8774
E-mail: [log in to unmask]
Website: http://www.uvcs.uvic.ca/crmp