From:
"Wilson, Linda" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 18 Oct 1997 16:38:27 -0500
We're conducting a small audience research study right now regarding
uniforms and visitor needs that might be of interest to you should you
decide to go with uniforms for your docents.

Why a study was initiated:
Several departments have asked the uniform team about changing their
uniforms.  Are we serving the guests well at present and are the
suggestions being made by the requesting departments consistent with
good customer service?

Background:
Previously, all front-line staff had the same uniforms, with supervisors
different in some way.  Idea was to make visitor choice easy.  Look for
one pattern of uniform, and that person could take care of your needs.
Supervisor was clearly identifiable so that he or she could be pointed
out by front-line staff if they were unable to answer a question, handle
a situation.
1.      The new shops recently changed to separate "identities", with
supervisors there dressed the same as everyone else
2.      Admissions and Interpretive and Guest Services want new
uniforms.  One sub-section, the interpreters that have taken special
biology training, want something distinctive and something informal to
put guests at ease, but still identifiable.
3.      Admissions Dept. wants to keep supervisor separate for ease in
working with irate customers.

Objectives:
1.      Maintain customer service function (i.e. make sure customer
needs are being met)
2.      Give departments as much flexibility as possible (i.e.
maintain/improve employee morale)

Data Collection
1.      Visitor interviews
We conducted 20 in-depth interviews   The interviewer used a cassette
recorder to audiotape the interview, but took notes on the form for
quick overview.

September, 1997  Visitor interview/Uniform Team

Hi, we're asking visitors a few questions today about our staff to help
us with our planning.

Is this your first visit to Shedd Aquarium?              ____Yes
_____ No
If No, when was your last visit?  ___ Within the last 12 mo.
                                    ___ More than 1 yr, but since the OC
opened
                                    ___ Prior to the opening of the OC
in 1991

We're looking at how problems get solved.

1.  When you visit an aquarium, zoo,  museum, or a place like that, when
do you go looking for a staff person to help you? (what circumstances,
what problems/questions?).  Ask for 2 or 3.
1.
2.
3.

2.  Where are you likely to go to get that information or get that
problem solved?  (Who do you approach, and why?) Note different places
for different problems, if stated that way).  Prompt for situations
where they need information, have a complaint, or have an emergency.

3.  How do you recognize an employee? (What do you look for when you
need an employee, what tells you they work there?)  How important is a
uniform?  How do you distinguish an employee from a visitor if they're
both walking by you?

 4.  We have several different work "outfits" here, one in the gift
shops, another at the ticket takers, and so on.  Does this make a
difference to you, whether employees all dress the same or have several
colors and styles?  How about Employees vs Volunteers?

5.  Let's say you have a problem and go to a staff person, who is unable
to help you, but calls over a supervisor.  That person and the
supervisor are dressed in the same style or uniform.  Does this confuse
the issue at all?   Do you doubt that person being a supervisor?

6.  Last question.  What are your pet peeves about what happens when you
have a question/problem and go up to an employee?

Thanks (give booklet)

___   A only     ___ A + K                       ___M    ___F
Date:  ________     Day:  _________    Time:  _________  Interviewer

2.      Surveys
Once we got a feel for the responses visitors were giving us we took
additional data from a larger number of visitors as a part of our
regular visitor exit surveys to see if there were differences among
visitor groups.  We have various safeguards to make sure we're getting a
fair sample.  Here are the relevant questions.

6.      One of the things we're looking at is how people get assistance
from a museum's staff when they need it.

        a. How many times would you say you've visited any kind of
museum, zoo, aquarium, nature center, historical site.... in the past
two years?   ________
                b.  Here are some situations where visitors have told us
they might need help beyond the usual signs.  Which have happened to you
in the past two years? [check off those they say]
        ___  a.  Explanation of prices
        ___  b.  Directions to an exhibit
        ___  c.  More information about an animal or topic
        ___  d.  Find someone or lost child
        ___  e.  Need to change ticket
        ___  f.  Complaint about service
        ___  g.  Medical emergency
        ___  h.  Other ____________________

        c.  For each of these (whether they are checked or not)  are you
        ...  more likely to go to whatever staff person is closest, ...
more likely to go to an information booth or ... (DK) don't have enough
information to predict

7.      Let's say you have a problem and you look for an employee.  You
remember seeing several different uniforms or styles or colors on
employees.  Does this affect you in looking for a staff member?
                                Y         N

8.      OK, last one.  Let's say you have a problem and the staff person
you talk to can't help you, but says you can speak to a supervisor.  The
supervisor has the same uniform and name tag.  Do you doubt this person
is a supervisor?

The report will be complete at the end of October.  Would you like a
copy?