From:
Barbara Abrams <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Feb 1998 11:33:09 -0800
oy!

See this AM's Oregonian for more on this idiocy

Barbara C. Abrams                                             Phone: (503) 306-5271
Deputy Director/Operations & Programs            Fax:      (503) 219-2030
Oregon Historical Society                                  Email:    [log in to unmask]
www.ohs.org

>>> MCDevinney <[log in to unmask]> 02/04/98 06:01PM >>>
Saw on AOL's news fed that the Brits want Winnie the Pooh to be returned....

.c The Associated Press

NEW YORK (AP) - Oh bother.

The British want Winnie the Pooh and his four friends to come home.
[...]
``I saw them recently and they look very unhappy indeed,'' Labor Minister
Gwyneth Dunwoody said. ``I am not surprised, considering they have been
incarcerated in a glass case in a foreign country for all these years.''
[...]
Mrs. Dunwoody is asking what plans Britain's culture secretary has to arrange
for the stuffed animals' repatriation after half a century.
[...]
``Just like the Greeks want their Elgin Marbles back - so we want our Winnie
the Pooh back, along with all his splendid friends,'' Mrs. Dunwoody said.
[...]
The New York Public Library is treating the sticky issue very cautiously.
``Until we get a specific request, we're not commenting,'' spokeswoman Caroline
Oyama said.
[...]
But a more combative Diane Powers, associate chief librarian at the Donnell
Library Center, the branch where the stuffed toys are on display, said
Wednesday: ``If England returns the Elgin Marbles to Greece, we might consider
returning Pooh.''

Chrissie Devinney