From:
Jim Angus <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Jan 1998 17:40:14 -0800
Welcome to AFRICA: One Continent. Many Worlds.

For the first time ever, an expansive traveling exhibition representing
many facets of Africa is making its way throughout the U.S.

"AFRICA: One Continent. Many Worlds." will give museum-goers of all
cultural backgrounds and ages around the country an opportunity to discover
firsthand the vitality, richness and significance of African peoples, their
communities through out the world, and the natural riches of the African
continent.

The journey begins  with the "AFRICA: One Continent. Many Worlds." web site
(http://www.nhm.org/africa) and culminates with a memorable visit to the
traveling exhibition now touring the U.S.

The "AFRICA: One Continent. Many Worlds." web site is designed to provide
the museum-goer with a rich experience and to provide the educator with the
knowledge and tools to bring the experience to the classroom.

The on-line exhibit includes over 60 minutes of video, hundreds of
photographs of cultural objects from the African collections of the Field
Museum of Natural History and Natural History Museum of Los Angeles County,
and presentations on the accomplishments and stories of Americans of
African descent.

You will also find exhibitions of art and photography found no where else
on the web.

The "AFRICA: One Continent. Many Worlds." web site is a collaborative
effort between The Field Museum, the Natural History Museum of Los Angeles
County, the California African American Museum and the Armory Center for
the Arts.

"AFRICA: One Continent. Many Worlds." is made possible by Ford Motor
Company and TIME Magazine with the additional support of The WAVE Community
Newspapers, the Los Angeles County Metropolitan Transportation Authority
and Ralphs/Food 4 Less Foundation. The exhibit is a traveling adaptation of
The Field Museum's permanent "Africa" exhibit.

We hope you enjoy your visit to AFRICA: One Continent.  Many Worlds.
whether it is a "real" or "virtual" visit.

-----

Now that the marketing info is out...

The Africa web site is our biggest on-line exhibit yet and it has been
finished (almost) just in time for Black History Month.

The Natural History Museum felt that we had little on our web site that had
special appeal to the African American community that surrounds the museum,
so we partnered with the Field Museum to produce an on-line version of
Africa:  One Continent.  Many Worlds.

The Natural History Museum has expanded upon some topics and has added a
great deal of material not found in the traveling exhibit.  And...each year
we plan to add additional material to the site.

The site is not yet finished, but it is certainly far enough along that I
proudly invite you to visit.

http://www.nhm.org/africa

Things to come...

-slavery and the diaspora
-the genius in the Americas
-the photography of Tony Gleaton
-an expanded community voices presentation
-expanded and reworked materials for teachers

For more information, please contact Jim Angus

Jim Angus
New Media
900 Exposition Blvd.
Los Angeles, CA  90007

http://www.nhm.org

voice:    213/763-3317
fax:      213/746-2999
eMail:    [log in to unmask] = [log in to unmask]
web site  http://www.nhm.org/~jangus
          http://www.cco.caltech.edu/~aonghais/

When they told me I was average, they were just being mean.