From:
Adrienne DeArmas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Oct 1997 04:15:30 -0400
I hope Ann does not mind me piggy-backing on her post, but...

From October 25 - February 14, The Historical Society of Washington, DC will
be presenting the exhibition "National Vision, Local Enterprise: John Plumbe
Jr., in Washington, DC." The exhibit will feature daguerreotypes from the
Clifford and Michele Krainik Collection, the National Portrait Gallery, the
James K. Polk Memorial Association, and the University of Virginia Alderman
Library. In addition, a daguerreotype camera (on loan from the collection of
Jordan Patkin) will be on display.

John Plumbe Jr. established himself as a daguerreotypist as early as 1840,
and introduced the idea of brand name marketing by opening as many as
twenty-five studios, or "depots" as he called them. Plumbe became a
daguerreotypist in order to finance his lobbying efforts for his dream of a
transcontinental railroad.

Guest Curator Clifford Krainik will be giving a lecture and slide show
presentation on John Plumbe Jr. on Thursday, October 23rd, at 8pm in the
Conservatory at the Historical Society.

The Historical Society is located at 1307 New Hampshire Avenue, NW,
Washington, DC  20036. Hours of operation are Wednesday through Saturday 10am
- 4pm.

Feel free to call me for more information at 202-785-2068 or email me.

- Adrienne