From:
Sherry Anne Chapman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Dec 1997 11:41:56 -0700
Hello!

Thank you for your responses to my query last week about reminiscence therapy and museum programming. I heard from several people and was really pleased to hear about other efforts "out there!"

The reason for my query arises out some recent work at Glenbow and a motivation to continue that work. On October 3,1997, Glenbow introduced a Reminiscence Kit program to Calgary and area . We now have 12 different Reminiscence Kits available for loan to continuing care facilities. Although anyone is welcome to borrow the kits, we designed them particularly for senior seniors (David K. Foot's term referring to older seniors generally in their 80s or older, David K. Foot with Daniel Stoffman, Boom, Bust & Echo: How to Profit from the Coming Demographic Shift. Macfarlane Walter & Ross, Toronto, 1996.).

Kit development took place through 1996 and 1997 with a team which included myself, Sherry Anne Chapman, Frances Roback (Curator of Cultural History), Diane Osberg (seniors programmer), Bev Hillman (private consultant recreation therapist), Valerie Romanzin (registered recreation therapist, member of Alberta Therapeutic Recreation Association) and Bonnie Martyn, R.N., Patient Manager of the Alzheimer's Unit, Foothills Hospital, Calgary.

The 12 Glenbow Reminiscence Kits include the following themes:
Kit #1:  Sugar and Spice: Memories of Baking
Kit #2:  Salad Days: Cooking Up Memories
Kit #3:  A Little Dab 'll Do Ya: Accessories for Men
Kit #4:  In the Pink: Grooming Memories for Women
Kit #5:  On the Town: Dress-Up for Men
Kit #6:  Dressed to the Nines: Dress-Up for Women
Kit #7:  School Spirit
Kit #8:  Remembering the War
Kit #9:  Music, Games, and Fun
Kit #10:  Baby of Mine
Kit #11:  Girls' Play
Kit #12:  Toys for Boys

Each kit has a unique theme and objects, images, scents, textures, and sometimes sounds related to the theme. A binder also goes into each kit offering suggestions for using the kit, a listing of the kit contents, drymounted images that can be taken out of the binder and passed around, and an evalution form.

We are receiving positive and constructive feedback from borrowers and are trying to refine the kits accordingly. At this point we would like to create another 6 kits through the next year or so. Glenbow has just learned about the Education Resource Centre for Continuing Care which is a resource in Alberta that aims to support continuing care staff in their work towards improving the quality of care in continuing care facilities. I hope to do some research through the centre and to let staff through the province know about Glenbow's program as a resource.

At this point, I understand that reminiscence therapy may be a relatively new field within gerontology. The idea behind it is to use memories to help people to focus their thoughts to adapt to their present. Again, my understanding is very preliminary but I want to learn. If you have any thoughts about what I am presenting here, please let me know!!!!

In a museum context, we can use objects, images, sounds, related smells, and textures to open the door of the past to people's memories. Sometimes those memories can be painful; sometimes they can be full of joy. Part of the experience may entail dealing with the painful past and finding "a place" to put it, ie., to deal with a part of the past that an individual may have previously chosen to bury. You can imagine that a reminiscence program must have supportive facilitators to help the participants if very strong emotions are brought to the surface with the memories. Be they positive or painful, memories help to focus the mind, particularly in cases of dementia as with Alzheimer's. Or, If an individual has moved to a continuing care facility (in Alberta, that may mean moving from a rural, home environment to an urban facility), reminiscence therapy may also help to adapt to the new environment.

The responses to my posted question about reminiscence therapy and museum theatre are quite telling, I think. Thus far, I have not yet heard from any other Canadian museum which makes me think that no other formal RemKit museum program may exist in a Canadian museum. I have not yet heard of an American RemKit museum program either although I have had several responses which I'll include below.

I have heard about a well-establised Reminiscence Kit program at the Museum of Victoria in Melbourne, Australia. The person who responded to me was Bronwyn Thompson: