From:
"Robin H. Gabriel" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Oct 1997 12:12:44 EDT
According to SOHS Collections Department:

> Has anyone changed the interior of historic houses to comply with ADA?
> In particular, I'm curious about thresholds. In our historic house the
> wood thresholds are a bit too high for a person in a wheelchair to
> easily maneuver over by themselves. We have to consider changing them or
> the floor level. Has anyone else faced this problem? What did you do?
> Thank you!

We use a portable "lip" made of wood that is stored next to the
door and is put in place whenever it is needed. We did have to
install a wheelchair lift on the side of the terrace to get
someone up to the main level of the house.

--
Robin Gabriel
Director of Education