From:
Joy Davis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Nov 1997 08:00:00 PST
Re: Masters and diploma programs in Canada

The Cultural Resource Management Program at the University of Victoria
(which is located on the southern tip of Vancouver Island near Vancouver and
Seattle), offers a post-degree  Diploma in Cultural Conservation that allows you
to specialize in museum studies, cultural heritage management, or heritage
conservation. The Diploma requires the completion of two core courses, six
electives, and an internship, directed studies or co-op work term. We also
welcome participation in individual courses on a non-credit, unclassified credit
or transfer credit basis.

The Program is designed to allow participants to take courses on a part-time
basis (although full-time is certainly possible), and we use intensive 6 or  8-day
immersion courses on-campus and distance education courses to make it
possible for people from outside the Victoria area to participate. As a result we
have people from across Canada and US and beyond taking both our on-campus
and distance courses.

Core courses that are offered annually include:

Introduction to Museum Studies (distance format & on-campus)
Introduction to Heritage Conservation (distance format & on-campus)

Courses that are offered in the on-campus immersion format and occur at least
once every two years (sometimes three years) include:

MUSEUM STUDIES Electives
Collections Management
Communicating Through Exhibitions
Curatorial Care of Artifacts
Public Programming
Curatorship: Issues and Practices
Exhibition Design and Installation
Museum Information Management (also in distance format)
International Museology Series (at the InterUniversity Centre, Croatia)

CULTURAL HERITAGE MANAGEMENT Electives
Managing Cultural Organizations
Planning in Cultlural Organizations
Human Resource Management (also in distance format)
Financial Management in Cultural Organizations
Museums in the Marketplace: Marketing and Public Relations
Cultural Tourism

HERITAGE CONSERVATION Electives
Heritage Area Conservation
Inventory and Evaluation of Heritage Resources
Studies in Building Conservation
The Fabric of Heritage Buildings
Heritage Landscape and Gardens
Museums in Heritage Buildins (at Colonial Williamsburg)
Planning for Community Cultural Stewardship
Managing Archaeological Resources

OTHER Electives (while these are not part of our regular curriculum, they are
offered from time to time):
Managing Natural History Collections
Curatorship: Indigenous Perspectives
Preserving Maritime Heritage
Canadian Cultural Policy
Cultural Diversity: The Inclusive Museum
Multi-media in the Museum

A final note, as I know this is getting long, our faculty are all drawn from
professional practice and, like the participants, come from all sorts of locations
and institutions across the continent and beyond, so every course brings
together a very interesting mix of people, experience and perspectives.

Please visit our website: www. uvcs.uvic.ca/crmp  for more detailed
information, or contact us directly!

Joy Davis, Program Director
Cultural Resource Management Program
University of Victoria
Phone 250-721-8462
FAX 250-721-8774
email  [log in to unmask]

For detailed Program information, please visit our Web Site at
http://www.uvcs.uvic.ca/crmp