From:
Ross Weeks <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Nov 1997 10:27:17 -0500
There has been a series of messages about "rudeness" in some of the
postings on this list.  It is a question of definition.  Sarcastic comments
aimed at another institution or professional should, in my view, be
directed only to the "target" and left at that.

One wonders what purpose is served by "put-downs" of any institution or
professional (we are all in this field together).  I suppose I am as guilty
as anyone else of judging others in this list, but unless I can phrase my
negative reactions in a helpful way, I usually try to keep quiet.

In our field, as in many others, we have fairly acerbic people,
individualists, scholars, malcontents, the naive, the immature, and others
not accustomed to relating to the public at large.  I am acerbic and a
malcontent in the classic sense of that term.....and in appropriate venues,
these traits show up in what I hope are useful ways.  None of us should
feel reluctant, as a last resort, to offend someone who stands in the way
of doing our work properly, if it takes that to remove an obstacle.

But among us, I'm not sure there needs to be any correspondence intended to
embarrass, insult, or respond in the "in your face" manner on this medium.
If someone is looking for help obtaining an inexpensive or affordable flat
in NYC for professional reasons (or not) that individual can be ignored by
those who can't help him/her.

Instead, we have folks laughing up their sleeves and asking for dog collars
on line.

Olivia wrote:
>What is weird about rudeness is that you could be making a statement that
>you think is completely inoffensive, and someone out there yells "foul."
>We can certainly find another outlet for rudeness, but I don't think
>rudeness is an especially distinctive mark of cyberspace (as already
>pointed out).  I was going to say that the DEL key is the best thing to
>use when you don't have time for rudeness, but to use the DEL key is
>perhaps a scapegoat.  I don't think we're going to get a "kinder and
>gentler" America, so we'll have to find ways to diplomatically defuse the
>bad feelings and rudeness amongst ourselves, so that we can continue
>being a Museum-L family.

Olivia S. Anastasiadis, Curator
Richard Nixon Library & Birthplace
18001 Yorba Linda Boulevard
Yorba Linda, CA  92886
(714) 993-5075; fax (714) 528-0544; e-mail:  [log in to unmask]