From:
Amelia Chamberlain <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Nov 1997 17:51:51 +0000
> Cameron Cavitt wrote:
> >
> > Hi to everyone,
> >
> > I am currently researching the development of an Object Loan Kit or Traveling Trunk program.

The Southern Oregon Historical Society education department has
developed a series of discovery boxes for check-out by teachers.  The
themes of the trunks often offer the history of a community paired with
a topic--for example the town of Gold Hill is paired with gold mining.
Other topics include Native Americans of southwestern Oregon,
archaeology, toys, and Día de los Muertos. A series of other boxes are
being developed--including topics which support the Society's newest
exhibit--Miner, Baker, Furniture Maker--dealing with trades and crafts
from 1850s to 1920s and changes in work technology during that
period--for which we recently received a small grant.

High Desert Museum in Bend, Oregon also has a set of trunks they check
out to teachers--the program was mentioned in their latest newsletter.

Amelia Chamberlain
Programs Director