Date:
Tue, 28 Oct 1997 13:40:49 +0100
Fellow listers:

Please accept my apologies for sending this message through Museum-L but we
could not seem to get through via the internet.  Sorry for any
inconvenience.

From: [log in to unmask] (Staff)
Subject: possible donation

Greetings.
I am the curator at a small county museum in Kansas.  Last week, a
gentleman came into the museum wanting to donate two documents that do not
fit into our collecting scope - I talked to our Director, who suggested
contacting you.

Both documents are in French, and were purchased by the donor's brother
several years ago while he was living in Paris.  The first one is dated the
year 7 of the French Republic, and has a military letterhead. It is from
Charles Daurier, General de Brigade of the Army of liberty and equality.
It is signed. According to my notes, it is addressed to the Duc de
Roquelaine (?).  My knowledge of French is nominal, so that's about all I
can tell you about it.

The other document is also in French, and since my knowledge is so poor I
can tell you very little about it.  It does have a crude letterhead or
paper mark, and there is a scribble at the top that looks like "1677".
This could be the date, since I could find no other. The name Jean Le
Farque appears on it.

Both pieces are in beautiful condition.  Since they were framed, I could
not photocopy them.  Based on this very sketchy information, would you be
interested in accepting (or at least finding out more about) these
documents, or would you be able to point me in the direction of somebody
that would?  The owner is anxious that they go to a museum.

Thanks for your help.

Sincerely,
Barbara C. Ulrich-Hicks
Curator