From:
Byron Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 13 Jul 1997 22:21:00 -0500
At 07:06 AM 7/13/97 -0700, you wrote:
>At 08:40 PM 7/12/97 -0400, you wrote:
>>Dear List:
>>                I am looking for annual attendance numbers for small to medium
>>sized museums focusing on military history.  Please let me know your square
>>footage of exhibit area, and location in the community (urban, suburban,
>>rural, military installation, etc.)
>>        Thank you for your assistance.
>>
>>Wayne Hart, Director
>>Museum of Valor
>
>The Texas Ranger Hall of Fame and Musem is currently 31,000 sf in size and
has approximately 4,200 sf of exhibits in a Hall of Fame annex and 4,100 sf
of exhibits in several galleries. The rest consists of storage areas,
library, a working Ranger Company offices, and an 11,000 sf banquet hall.
The facility was planned woefully short of work areas or office space.

We cover the military history of the Rangers from 1823-1874 when they were a
state militia heavily involved in the Indian Wars, Mexican War and aftermath
of the Civil War.

Our yearly attendance varies between an honest 80,000 and 90,000 gate. We
are located on Interstate-35 in a park created for the Hall of Fame and
Museum. The park is flanked by 4 museums and 3 Baylor University educational
facilities. It is 1-1/2 hours south of Dallas and 1-1/2 hours north of
Austin in Waco. I-35 is a primary NAFTA route and 82,000 cars a day roll in
front of the complex.

We are planning a renovation and expansion that will raise attendance to
between an estimated 150,000 and 200,000.

Hope this helps.
Byron Johnson, Director
Texas Ranger Hall of Fame and Museum
P.O. Box 2570, Waco, Texas 76702-2570
E-Mail: [log in to unmask]

"...Unless a people are educated and enlightened it is idle
to expect the continuance of civil liberty or the capacity
for self-government."
Texas Declaration of Independence,  March 2, 1836.