From:
Betty Brennan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Aug 1997 11:04:39 -0500
Dear List Members:

I am wondering if this request is entrapment or if every Fish & Wildlife
agent intreprets the law differently, but I warn you not to respond to
this request.  We have been told by Fish & Wildlife agents that museums
must obtain their bird specimens within the area of the museum.  They
told us you cannot get specimens, for example, from Missouri and then
place them in a museum in Michigan.  Also, there seems to be several
different ways to intrepret what permits are required from museums.  All
in all, I am shocked to see a Fish & Wildlife worker ask if someone else
could help him find bird mounts!!

Maybe Steve Chase can tell us in what legal format could one museum give
another museum bird mounts?

I strongly urge museums not to respond  We have seen this same situation
in which one museum or government agency donates (with legal permits)
specimens to another museum or agency and it cost those involved $1,000s
in legal battles with Fish & Wildlife.