From:
Ann Trowbridge <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Sep 1997 10:52:50 -0400
A caution on the use of building codes to determine building capacity:
These codes are meant for design purposes.  If your building predates
the code or was designed or renovated for another use, it may not
conform to the code in the number and width of exits, stairs, doors,
hardware type etc. for given occupancy numbers.  It may also lack the
structural capacity to carry the number of people that might otherwise
be allowed using the square footage allocations.  A local architect
should be able to advise you on the capacity of your building from a
life safety standpoint if this was not done at the time the house became
a museum.

Ann Trowbridge, AIA