From:
Todd Ellison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Jul 1997 19:29:37 -0600
On 1 July 1997, we sent postings to the Archives & Archivists
list, Conservation DistList, and Museum discussion list asking
for advice for our process of associating each of our artifacts
with a unique bar code number.  We asked how people would
recommend attaching the bar code label to the object.  Also, we
asked whether museum registrars still recommend permanently
marking objects with an accession number (cf. *Museum
Registration Methods*, p. 51-53).   Coming at this from an
archival perspective we were wanting to abide by the principle of
never doing something that's irreversible.

Thank you to each of you who took the time and thought to reply.
Your answers and experiences can be of help to many of us, I'm
sure.  Following is an extract of more than 20 replies submitted
to the three various lists and to me personally [Todd Ellison],
basically in the order received.

     William P. Scott, Collections Manager, Mathers Museum
Indiana University Bloomington, "[log in to unmask]" wrote on 1-
JUL-1997:  We are in the early planning stages of a similar bar
coding project, and currently use acid free tags as part of our
everyday registration  system.  Often, it is true, the tags do
not attach easily to certain  objects, but they can be
associated.  I much prefer cotton  string to wire--wire is to
prone to scratching, and with string, you can  encircle a small
object easily and safely on a shelf or in a box.  When  there is
a question of association, one can check the tags with the
numbers on artifacts themselves.  It is not a perfect system, but
it has  proved itself effective here and at numerous other
museums (including, if  I remember correctly, the Field Museum).
Also, I think tags are more  effective than the storage boxes
that you mention for artifact tracking  since they move with the
objects and since they can be seperated into  evelopes in exhibit
files for quick exhibit inventories.

Concerning artifact numbering (labeling on the object, itself),
you may want to look into a semi-permanent system for most
pieces.  We use a  layer of Soluvar, then the numbers in
permanent ink, then another layer  of Soluvar.  It is permanent
enough that most people could not remove the  number, but is
removable through a simple chemical process.  I have a  very nice
article about numbering options that addresses most of the
important issues..

     Elisa Phelps Curator of Anthropology Houston Museum of