From:
Greg Graham <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Aug 1997 08:29:39 -0400
In Canada there are serveral model contracts in place, most of which
I assisted in drafting as former national director of CARFAC. Since a
major concern in Canada was the "exhibition right" aspects of Copyright
these may not apply directly in the U.S.
That being said, a "checklist" of issues to be covered in such a contract
should include at a minimum :

1) Dates of exhibition (dates for arrival, opening, etc)

2) Responsibility for shipping (to and from Museum)

3) Responsibility for insurance (during exhibition and shipping)

4) responsibility for publicitcy (invitations, list, advertising)

5) presence of artist (if required for installation or opening)

6) limited copyright permissions (eg to reproduce on invitation)

7) List of works to be displayed

8) List of other material to be provided and by whom (eg Video monitor)

This list is merely an indicator, but in my experience, most misunderstandings
between artists and museums arrive over these issues. ("But of course we
expected
you to pay shipping.........", "You mean the work wasn't Insured?")

I will be writing more on this subject in my newsletters available through the
Art Integrity website.

Greg Graham, [log in to unmask]
Balandis Graham Consulting -- arts management
Art Integrity -- Your Gallery on the Web    http://www.odyssee.net/~tom2/fine/
Telephone (819) 684-3942