From:
Nancy J Russell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 23 Aug 1997 14:43:44 EDT
Hello, all. How do living history museums compromise between "historic"
levels of dirt and good housekeeping/preventive conservation? I will be
starting a new job soon at a reconstructed Santa Fe Trail fort
(reconstructed accurately enough to be as dusty as it was in 1830s-1840s)
and will need to develop a housekeeping plan. Given the reconstruction,
it will be virtually impossible to elimate  dust/airborne contaminants.
Rather than drive myself insane trying to do so, I would like some
opinions on how other museum people have reached a reasonable compromise.
I should mention that most of the furnishings on display are also
reproductions (although they are still considered museum objects, cost
lots of money to acquire and replace, require proper care, etc). Any
opinions geatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Nancy Russell
PO Box 871