Date:
Wed, 23 Jul 1997 13:57:00 -0700
I put out this query a while back and got no responses.  My e-mail was down for
a couple of days after that, so it's possible some of you responded and I didn't
 receive your messages.  I'll try again!  Please bear with me if you respondedb
before; I would still like to hear from you, or anyone else that might be able
to shed light on this topic.

The Tempe Historical Museum currently is negotiating with the widow of a local
sculptor for the donation of a sizable collection of his plasters, archives, &
finished works.  We need to address the issue of the museum's rights to produce
and sell reproductions of his works, both three-dimensional and two-dimensional.

I would appreciate hearing from other institutions who have agreements with
artists, their trusts or estates regarding reproduction rights.  What are the
important issues that need to be addressed (splitting the revenue; who has say
 over the method and quality of reproduction)?  Are there any pitfalls that we
should watch out for?  Any input from the voices of experience out there would
be greatly appreciated.

Amy A. Douglass
Tempe Historical Museum