From:
Kathryn Desulis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Jun 1997 16:50:23 +0000
I have a legal/ethical question to bring up.

Our museum has an Artists Guild, which is involved with the museum
but is its own 501(c)3.  They collect their own dues and disburse
their income for their own projects.

Each year, the museum holds an exhibit of Guild members' artworks.
The exhibit lasts for one weekend.  All of the artwork is for sale
through a closed bidding system. The bids are submitted to the
individual artists.  If a piece is sold, the money goes to the
artist.  The Guild requests artists to donate a portion of their sales
to the museum, but it is not required.

My question is:  Is this within the legal and ethical boundaries of
accredited museums?  I just have a funny feeling about this, and was
curious to see what other museums are doing and others think of
this arrangement.  Thanks for any help.

Kate Desulis
The Morton Arboretum