From:
Arlyn Danielson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Jun 1997 10:48:41 -0400
Simone,  I graduated from a very well regarded museum studies masters
degree program in 1989.  I am of the mind that it is not a good idea to
rely too heavily on the reputation of any one program.  In my museum
career, I have found that internships at well known and well regarded
museums can make a big difference in the overall job market.  Getting good
and relevant experience in the area one wants to pursue is the best tactic.
 Employers want to know how you can help solve their particular problems,
deal with their issues, and if you can do the job professionally and
competently. Five years down the road, it won't make a huge difference what
program you attended- except as a valuable local networking tool.

A. Danielson