From:
Kevin Mccartney <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Aug 1997 11:17:36 EST
Anita,

  I'm glad to hear that you are coming up our way.  However, I must tell
you that from our viewpoint "northeastern" U.S. is still north of Cape
Cod.  If you are interested in trekking into Maine, and especially if
you are interested in getting away from the overhyped, tourist-clogged
coastal regions, drop me a line.  There is a wonderfully private stove
museum in central Maine, the Stanley steam car museum in northwestern
Maine, also a Moxie Museum (after a soft drink that you must try while
you are up here).  The Loggers Museum in Patton (starting to get into
northern Maine) includes a steam Lomard, which is essentially a steam
engine on treads used for hauling logs in the very early part of the
century.  Getting into northern Maine proper, there is a small living
history museum dedicated to the Acadians in Van Buren - this region is
in French-speaking United States.  King's Landing, across the border in
New Brunswick is I think one of the nicest living history museum
anywhere.  Fort Kent has an original blockhouse from the days of the
1840s Aroostook War - how many of you know about that one!  Every town
no matter how small has a historical society and a small museum, which
provide a local flavor and a love of history that somehow seems more
personal that in the large complexes.  We have a bed and breakfast in
Caribou that houses a small museum of antique Irons; called "The Old
Iron Inn" of course.  I can send you more information and probably
brochures for many of the sites mentioned here, as well as our B&B.  For
gosh sakes please get away from the coast!  Nothing but shear
obnoxiousness and tourist traps.
Kevin McCartney, Ph.D.
Associate Prof., Geology
Director, Northern Maine Museum