From:
Christine Mouw <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Jul 1997 11:11:57 -0400
>>> Gerry A. Stacy <[log in to unmask]> 07/25/97 01:34pm

I can't imagine placing the figure '$15,000/year' and the word
'reasonable' in the same sentence.  $15K is NOT reasonable.  Phrases
that I *would* place in the same sentence with the figure $15,000/year
are:

                below the poverty level
                'the working poor'
                wage exploitation
                a waste of an education
                more poorly paid than a receptionist
                laughable
***

LISTEN EVERYBODY!!!  We all want higher salaries, but the thing we
seem to have forgotten in this too-long drawn out thread are the REAL
"working poor" who are attempting to live (be that in New York or Iowa)
on minimum wage which comes out to be about $11,000 US a year!  So,
since all of us well-educated people could probably find supplemental
income or even choose to leave a profession that cannot (or will not)
pay us better, think of those people who have families to support and
don't have the skills to move up the ladder.  How can we complain that
we can't take advantage of the arts in New York City or take vacations
on our salaries, when food and clothing are priority for many of the true
"working poor"?

'Nuff said on this subject as far as I'm concerned.

Chris.

Christine Mouw
Assistant Curator
Herbert Hoover Presidential Library-Museum
West Branch, Iowa  52358