From:
"Robert A. Baron" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Jul 1997 16:16:49 -0400
At 02:49 PM 7/22/97 EST, [log in to unmask] wrote:

>     The National Museum of Health and Medicine is currently reviewing our
>     policies regarding the display of human remains, both wet tissue and
>     skeletal specimens, on our exhibit floor.  We are requesting input
>     from other museums regarding their policies and discussions on
>     displaying or the decision not to display human remains.  Please note
>     that this is not a NAGPRA related issue as our exhibits focus on the
>     display of normal and pathological anatomical specimens.
>
>     We are also interested in any information concerning creative
>     solutions to the safe storage of wet tissue specimens and the
>     development of a preservation strategy for this material.  Replies can
>     be posted to the list or sent directly to us at
>     [log in to unmask] or [log in to unmask]

I'll make this short and to the point:

The only considerations that should determine how such materials are to be
displayed are those relative to the scientific and educational value of the
display and to public safety.

Issues regarding sensibility, sensitivity, social or religious
appropriateness should not be allowed to affect what is shown.  Out of
respect for people who might be offended or otherwise put off by such
displays, entry notices would not be inappropriate.  Those who object to
such displays should spare themselves the offence by not viewing the
materials.

Robert A. Baron