Date:
Wed, 9 Jul 1997 11:02:11 -0500
On Wed, 9 Jul 1997, Ross Weeks wrote:

:| I agree that no matter how imprecise the methodology of focus interviews
:| might be, the process gives worthwhile feedback to the museum from its
:| visitors.

While it doesn't offer the "precise" numbers that a focused survey
does, just having the museum directors wander around the site and
chatting with the visitors does wonders for morale.  Of the
attendees, the staff; heck, even the directors.

Of course, the directors should do this on a frequent basis
(otherwise it turns into the equivalent of Groundhog Day or the
infamous "George Bush sees a supermarket scanner and is amazed" sort
of thing).  The best thing to do is have the upper, upper staff
(especially marketing geeks who bandy around words like "synergy",
"impactful" and "leveraged, co-promotional opportunities") work in
the museum store or as a ticket taker or any of the other very
necessary jobs required to give your visitors an enjoyable and
informative time at the museum.

:| We do them from time to time (one is currently underway), generally trying
:| to determine  if they felt their visit was 1) worthwhile, 2) memorable, 3)
:| was the staff helpful and 4) how did they learn of us?   We invite their
:| criticisms, suggestions, and also make sure they focus on our permanent
:| exhibits, our changing exhibit, our outdoor settlement, and our museum shop
:| as they respond to questions.  Would we make changes in an exhibit based on
:| this approach?  Only if repeatedly, someone found it lacking or of no
:| interest.

I'm curious; do you ask them to describe _how_ there visit was
memorable or worthwhile?

:| We're in a rural area, but we attract people from every state, and I'm glad
:| to note how many times we have been recommended by a neighbor, friend, or
:| family member.  And not so surprised that our marketing materials seem to
:| draw relatively few families.

If your marketing materials (I assume you mean brochures,
advertisements and the like) aren't bringing in the people you
want, then you should get new marketing materials.  Or at the very
least, just get rid of them and save yourself some money.

:| As to museum marketing methodology in general?  I also doubt it
:| is truly possible to "position" ourselves as do Ralph Lauren and
:| Campbell's Chicken Noodle Soup.  We are not in the trend-setting
:| and brand identity businesses, and shouldn't be, in my opinion.

Don't be so fast to run down "brand identity", especially because
you seem to benefitting from it in at least one sense (the positive
word of mouth you mentioned earlier).  A "brand identity" reflects
the core ideas and qualities that people can count on your brand
for.  Whether that is chicken soup, fashionwear or a particular
level of museum experience, it is one of the more valuable
intangible assets any operation can develop.

Rich Johnson
Director of Marketing
Cotton Expressions, Ltd.
Science, Nature & Humor Imprinted Apparel
http://www.cottonexpress.com