From:
Roger Bridgman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 May 1997 10:00:22 GMT
>Our system is 386 win3.1.  I'm looking for a database for a small collection
>(under 2000) for registration and cataloguing.  What I would like is
>something incredibly user friendly with several data fields plus unlimited
>space that you can see on the moniter (i.e. not scrolling) with word
>processing capability for additional info.

We have set up just such a database for this project using Claris FileMaker
Pro 3.0. "Incredibly user friendly" is just what it is. It handles images
and you can automatically call up related stuff from different files on the
same screen, which can be very useful. It does basic word processing-type
things like fonts, drag-and-drop and so on, and it's easy to set up layouts
for printing out. It sorts and finds things really fast, and has everything
you need for network use built in.

But more important than any of these, though it is relatively new, it has a
large user base built on earlier versions, so you shouldn't find yourself
stranded in a few years. Criticisms? The ready-made templates look pretty
horrible, but you don't have to use them - it's easy to start from scratch.

We are using Macs, but there is a PC version for Windows 3.1 which I think
should run on a 386 with 1MB of memory (1MB is the minimum setting on the
Mac), though don't forget that even a smallish database can eat up a lot of
disk space if you include images. A further nice thing about FileMaker is
that PCs and Macs can share data over a network without too many problems.

>OR -- Would it be easier to use two databases and link them?

No.

>I have $100 in the budget for this.  Is that reasonable, or am I insane?

I've no idea what software costs in the States - but probably a lot less
than here. The educational price of FileMaker Pro 3.0 here is 99 pounds,
which works out at around $150, so you might just do it.

Good luck.

Roger Bridgman

Wellcome Wing Exhibition Development Team
Science Museum, London SW7 2DD, UK

Phone  +44 (0)171 938 8132
Fax    +44 (0)171 938 8079
Web    http://www.nmsi.ac.uk/