From:
"Ross Weeks Jr." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Jun 1997 15:07:22 -0400
I would observe again that (no matter who makes the assumptions) the
promise of an upsurge in visitation and therefore income ought not be what
drives a museum to build, expand, or change direction.  In my humble
opinion, if anything, a museum professional -- confronted with an
opportunity to help the institution do a better job -- ought to
underestimate the effect on admissions revenue in justifying a plan.

I'm geographically removed from the places that thought they could bail
themselves out financially by retrofitting their exhibition program to
accommodate those life-like dinosaur exhibits.  I do know of a few that
simply wrecked their museums altogether for some time to come.

The Valentine, by the way, has a fine consulting firm advising it.